Whole House Fan – Investigate Most Recently Released Buyer Product Reviews for Whole House Fans.
A lot of my clients ask me regarding the big square box in the center section of the house’s upper floor ceiling behind a set of self-closing louvers. It’s an entire house fan and it may either benefit property owners or make living conditions worse.
* Preferably mild climates with cooler and much less humid nights
* Use it as long as the temperature and humidity outside is more favorable compared to conditions indoors. Should your air cooling system has been operating throughout the day, and the temperature outside drops lower (but the humidity remains high), don’t turn the simple tumblr post. The vent will suck all the humid air in your air conditioned house
* The best time periods to use it could be, naturally, morning hours and evening
Should you suffer from allergies, it is probably not a good idea to bring all the pollution in the house. Your window screens will stop a few of it, but whole house fans are really powerful and forces you to sneeze more than ever before.
1. Before you decide to turn the fan on, open as much doors and windows as you can, close fireplace damper and / or glass door, and shut the furnace / water heater room doors (if they are louver type, it won’t matter). The suction of the whole house fan (no less than on the highest speed) is really great, that without open windows / doors, it can draw air externally through any possible openings like, for instance, in the chimney. Should it be a fireplace chimney so you don’t remove the ashes… well, it’s going to be a mess. Should it be a hot water heater / furnace chimney, it may possibly blow off of the pilots.
2. When all things are ready, you may activate the complete house fan and in most cases throughout the next couple of seconds you need to feel a lot of exterior air flowing in your home. Unless…
3. This part is essential as opening the doors and windows – both need to be balanced to function properly so that you can really gain benefit from the whole house fan operation. The atmosphere drawn by the whole house fan should be discharged through the attic vents on the exterior. Otherwise, pressure created within the attic area will cause the atmosphere that was just pulled out of your house to return with dust and insulation particles through any possible gaps in the attic wh0le and the whole house fan itself.
Regular attic ventilation will not be enough to back up the Tumblr operation; you will need considerably more to carry all that extra amount of air to the exterior. And also the formula to calculate the sq footage in the attic vents necessary to discharge that air is very easy. All you need is the dimensions of your rooms:
Example: your ceilings are 8′ high and you will have four 10′ x 14′ rooms, one 15′ x 17′ room, as well as a 10′ x 3′ hallway (this is only a sample, calculate each of the rooms in your own home you imagine needs to be covered)
10’x14’x8′ = 1120×4 = 4480
15’x17’x8′ = 2040
10’x3′ = 30
Total – 6550 cubic feet
Now you must to divide 6550 by 750, which equals 8.73 sq feet – here is the part of the required attic vents (all of them combined – soffit, ridge, gable, etc.)
4. In case the house you’re stepping into has the whole house fan already installed, lets hope that this was properly sized up because of its purpose (there could be a tag around the unit itself), which is to replace your residence air within only a few minutes.
5. If you’re usually the one installing the full house fan, consider 3 or 4 minutes being an optimal time for your house air exchange. To achieve that, you’d should divide your house total air volume (6550 cubic feet from your sample) by 3 or 4 minutes. That will provide us with 1810 CFM / 1357.5 CFM (Cubic Feet each and every minute).
6. An additional essential thing: louvers in the Tumblr are not air tight and get no insulation applied on their surface; they leak air between the house and attic. I would personally strongly suggest installing a whole house fan cover in attic area to avoid air drafts during the cold season – don’t forget to get rid of it before you decide to utilize the fan again.
Whole house fans are noisy and many people never utilize them, nonetheless they might benefit your wallet when you apply all of the above. You will find currently other sorts of house ventilation systems available: they cost more (2 – three times) but very quiet, more potent, and offer air flow for longer time periods.